African Buns Recipe | Healthy Meal Ideas
These delicious buns are perfect to serve as a side with curry or soup, or to eat at breakfast with spiced tea. Find more plant-based diet recipes and African dinner recipes on our website or in my African Twist cookbook.
Makes 12-25 buns | Prep time 20 mins | Cook time 10-20 mins
- 450g plain flour
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 tspn salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 250ml soya or other plant-based milk
- Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl, then add in the oil until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Pour in the milk and stir to make a soft dough
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes, then chill for 10-20 mins
- Divide the dough into plum-sized pieces, roll into balls, then flatten in the palms of your hands to 1cm thickness.
- Shallow fry in hot oil until golden brown on both sides: about 2 minutes on one side, and 1 minute on the reverse side.
Enjoy with your favourite curry or stew!