Quick Cider, Sausage and Bean Hotpot
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 100g mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 420g tinned baked beans
- 250ml dry cider
- 5ml Maggie’s Original Chilli Sauce
- 5 to 10ml Naija This n That Spice mix
- 5ml dried basil
- Salt to taste
- 100g grated cheese, for topping
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large flat bottomed pan.
2. Add the onions, garlic and sausages and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes, till the onions are soft.
3. Add the peppers, tomatoes, beans, chilli sauce, cider, basil and Naija This n That Spice mix and stir fry til mixed in.
4. Cover the pan and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring from time to time, till the sausages are cooked through, adding salt according to taste.
Serve with mash, jacket or roast potatoes or live a little and serve with Malawi Kilombero rice.
Feel free to add different veg to the hot pot. Cooked sausages can also be used, in which case reduce cooking time to about 10 minutes for sausages to be heated through. Add more or less chilli sauce as you prefer. Enjoy!