Get a free copy of Maggie's new cookbook 'African Twist' when you spend £35 or more!
Island Pirate Stew
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5-10ml Maggie’s Original Chilli Sauce
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 5ml ginger powder
- 30ml molasses/golden syrup (or 35g dates/raisins mashed)
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 120ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 120ml coconut milk
- 6 chicken breasts or 400g frozen
- Mixed vegetables
- 10-15ml Maggie’s Pirate Stew Mix
- Blend together in a food processor or blender, the onion, garlic, bell pepper and ginger to a smooth paste with a little stock.
- In a medium saucepan, add the oil and pour in the processed onion mixture and stir fry on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Add stock, coconut milk, molasses/syrup or dates, Spice mix and chicken or vegetables and cook gently until the chicken or vegetables are cooked through (between 25 – 35 minutes if cooking chicken).
- Adjust salt and chilli to taste and serve with boiled Malawi Kilombero rice and fried plantains.