Carrot Cake with Passion Fruit Icing
(1 ½ hours baking. Prepare ahead) Makes one 20cm (8inch) cake.
- 250ml vegetable oil (plus extra for greasing)
- 175g sultanas
- 4 x 15ml whisky
- 225g wholemeal flour
- 100g molasses or light muscovado sugar
- 15ml cocoa
- 1 x 5ml ground cinnamon
- ½ x 5ml nutmeg
- ½ x 5ml allspice
- ½ x 5ml salt
- 1 ½ x 5ml baking powder
- 1 ½ x 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 75g walnut pieces, finely chopped
- 225g carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 3 large eggs
Passion Fruit Icing
125g unsalted butter, softened and at room temperature
125g icing sugar
2 x 15ml passion fruit juice, passion fruit cordial or orange juice
Passion fruit to serve (optional)
Preheat oven to 1800c/3500f/Gas mark 4. Prep time 30 mins, cooking time 1 ¼ hours.
- Grease a 20.5cm round, loose-bottomed cake tin with sunflower oil and line base with a circle of grease proof paper.
- Place the flour, cocoa, spices, salt, baking powder, bicarb, sugar, cinnamon, walnuts, sultanas and carrots in a large mixing bowl and stir together to combine all the ingredients.
- Pour in the oil with the eggs and whisky and beat together until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin and cook in the centre of the oven for about 1 ¼hours or until the top of the cake feels spongy to the touch and a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
To make the icing
- Beat the butter in a mixing bowl until almost white.
- Beat in the icing sugar and the passion fruit juice (or passion fruit cordial or orange juice).
- Place the cake on a board, and spread the butter icing over the cake to cover completely.
Tried and tested over the years by many grateful people!