White sauce, also known as béchamel sauce, is one of the most basic yet versatile sauces in the culinary world. It's a creamy sauce that can be used as a base for many other sauces and dishes, from pasta to vegetables and meats. Today, we're sharing a simple recipe for basic white sauce, along with some variations that you can try.
- 40 grams plain flour (you can also use gluten-free flour.)
- 50 grammes butter or margarine
- 570ml milk (1 pint) or half milk and half water. (You can use non-dairy milk)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
This makes 570 ml/one pint.
- Melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until well combined.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture turns slightly golden in color.
- Gradually pour in the milk, whisking constantly to avoid any lumps.
- Keep whisking until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bechamel Sauce: Boil a small onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf in milk and allow to infuse. Strain off and use the flavored milk as above.
- Mustard Sauce: Add 5ml or one teaspoon of mustard to the flour. Milk may be plain or flavored. Serve over fish.
- Cheese Sauce: Add 50gm grated cheese to cooked white sauce and heat till it melts.
- Parsley Sauce: Add three tablespoons finely chopped parsley, and five ml lemon juice to the prepared white sauce and heat through on your own sauce.
- Onion Sauce: Finely chop one medium onion and cook gently in 10 grammes of butter till soft. Add this to the prepared white sauce and heat through serve with lamb.
- Celery Sauce: 160gm celery stalks, finely chopped and cooked. Prepare as for onion source, process the sauce in a blender till smooth then heat through and serve.
Conclusion: White sauce is a must-have in any cook's arsenal. It's easy to make, versatile, and can be used in a variety of dishes. With this basic white sauce recipe and the variations we've provided, you can get creative in the kitchen and experiment with different flavors and textures.
Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!
In the picture: A quick fish sauce I made using a white sauce base to which I added ultimate veg spice and chopped parsley.